Saturday, February 10, 2007

[Movies]BJJ is catching up with Kung Fu

A sure-fire sign that BJJ is getting more popular in China: it's started popping up in Hong Kong action movies. Whenever I'm watching old school kung fu movies, I'm always excited to see moves that look like they could be BJJ techniques' ancestors, like flying scissors takedowns or weird joint locks.
But this time it's the real deal. For example in Donnie Yen's Sha Po Lang, you can see Sammo Hung get side-choked and arm-barred (see for yourself). And on the director and actor's own website, you can learn how to do a flying triangle !

Still, you may call me naive, but I firmly believe Gordon Liu could take any current fighter and school him using his secret Shaolin techniques (well ok, I'll make an exception for Fedor. It would probably be a draw).

No comments: